History of the Oak Ridge Outdoor Pool

The Oak Ridge Outdoor Municipal Swimming Pool; better known to locals as, “The Big Pool”, was originally constructed in 1944 by the Corps of Engineers. The pool underwent major renovation in 1992-1993 and reopened for the 1994 summer season. The pool is spring water fed and considered one of the largest in the nation. Depths range from zero to 13-1/2 feet and holds 2.2 million gallons of water.   It opens each summer during Memorial Day weekend and closes in mid-August with an end of the season Puppy Pool Party. There are 25- and 100-meter courses, an offshore island, and a large grassed beach area.

Awards


In 2019 the Outdoor Pool was award the Historic Preservation Award.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Improvements and Repairs